Scope and Aims
The AI Robolab is an AI lab created in 2009 at the university of Luxembourg. Following the big 5 terminology explaining the scope of AI, the AI Robolab scope covers Natural interaction (Point 4) and Societal Impact (Point 5). The former is about AI that “strives to create agents that interact naturally with humans” whereas the latter aims to study how AI can “impact society in both positive and negative ways.”
Based on this view, the AI Robolab objectives are threefold:
Research : The AI RoboLab in general provides a key contribution to shaping a digital, healthy and sustainable future.
- Digital Transformation: the pillar on AI ethics addresses ethical, cultural and legal questions around digitalisation, in collaboration with a newly created Center for Digital Ethics. Moreover, it collaborates with C2DH on digital humanities, and it has an interest in space AI.
- Medicine and Health: the pillar on social robotics contributes to digital health.
Education. The AI RoboLab contributes to a personalised, innovative and high-quality teaching and learning across the University
- Teaching and Learning across the university. The AI RoboLab embeds project-based learning as its preferred mode of teaching, enabling personalized training. The C21 is one of the main lab’s projects in this direction.
fostering a dynamic, diverse and international student community: the AI RoboLab hosts yearly many student internships from all over the world (for a list of the ongoing projects, please refer to this page).
Impact: The AI RoboLab contributes to the social, cultural and economic development of Luxembourg and the world.
- Together with its spin-off company LuxAI, it provide support and guidance to researchers, staff and students in the transfer of ideas and discoveries into the socio-economic sphere through the creation of spin-offs.
- The AI RoboLab promote entrepreneurial thinking and creativity as transversal skills to students and young researchers.
- With its pillar on computational creativity, and the AI&Art pavilion at Esch2022, it is deepening dialogue and engagement with interests groups and the general public.